Movie Rating Scale
|Grade: A to A-
|Grade: B+ to B
|Grade: B- to C+
|Grade: C to C-
|| Reel Hope: "W" Celebrities
Reel Hope: "W" Celebrities
In keeping with our spirit of making a difference in our community, what could be more natural for The Independent Critic than documenting the philanthropy, community service, foundations and organizations supported by your favorite Hollywood actors, actresses, directors, writers and other film industry professionals. Listed from A-Z, this comprehensive archive will list many of your Hollywood favorites, classic and contemporary, and the causes most important to them ranging from one-time support to lifelong commitments!
Wachowski, Andy and Larry
The Wachowskis in the CommunityORGANIZATIONS THEY SUPPORT
- National Committee to Protect Children (PROTECT)- Charter Advisors/Board
Mark Wahlberg in the CommunityORGANIZATIONS HE SUPPORTS
- Practicing Catholic
- Established the Mark Wahlberg Youth Foundation
Paul Walker in the Community
ORGANIZATIONS HE SUPPORTS
- Reach Out Worldwide: Walker actually started this organization in 2010 and was working on its behalf on the day he was killed in an auto accident at the age of 40. He had just left a benefit for Philippine typhoon relief. He was also known to have put together benefits following the 2010 Haiti earthquake and the 2010 Chile earthquake among other humanitarian efforts.
*Source: PaulWalker.com, TMZ
Denzel Washington in the CommunityORGANIZATIONS HE SUPPORTS
- Devout Christian
- Donated $2.5 million to help build the new West Angeles Church of God In Christ (COGIC)
- Visited Israel in 2008
- In 2007, donated $1 million to Wiley College to restart their debate team
- In 2006, donated $1 million to Save Africa's Children
- In 2006, donated $25,000 to a North Carolina organization that helps people pay their heat bills.
Source: Wikipedia, Learnvest
Sam Waterston in the CommunityORGANIZATIONS HE SUPPORTS
- In 2007, established the Waterston Family Foundation with a donation of $1,751,000.
- Served on the board of directors of Refugees International
- Waterston Family Foundation donated $2.1 million in 2008. Recipients have included: Refugees International ($50,000) and $50,000 to the American Institute for Stuttering.
Source: The Giving Back Fund
- Refugee Issues
Emily Watson in the CommunityORGANIZATIONS SHE SUPPORTS
- NCPCC (Child Welfare/Protection)- Inducted in their Hall of Fame for spearheading the successful campaign to get England to appoint a children's commissioner
Emma Watson in the CommunityORGANIZATIONS SHE SUPPORTS
- Donates to the Wild Trout Trust
- Describes herself as "a bit of a feminist"
Naomi Watts in the CommunityORGANIZATIONS SHE SUPPORTS
- UNAIDS Goodwill Ambassador
- AIDS Walk
- AIDS Red Ribbon Awards Inaugural Member
- World AIDS Day
Sigourney Weaver in the CommunityORGANIZATIONS SHE SUPPORTS
- Democratic Party
- Has donated $5800 to various Democrats including Barack Obama, Ted Kennedy and Barbara Boxer
- Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund honorary chairperson
- Trickle Up
- Active Environmentalist with a particular interest in deep-sea trawling's impact on the oceans.
- Animal Welfare
- Women's Issues
Forest Whitaker in the Community
ORGANIZATIONS HE SUPPORTS
- PETA- Recorded PSA
- Supported Barack Obama in the 2008 U.S. Presidential election
- Serves as UNESCO Goodwill Ambassador
- Started non-profit PeaceEarth, a non-profit focused on educating and empowering peacebuilders and global youth on the topics of peace and conflict resolution.
Source: Wikipedia, Mashable
- Animal Welfare
Betty White in the CommunityORGANIZATIONS SHE SUPPORTS
- Joined the American Women's Voluntary Services during World War II
- Los Angeles Zoo Commission, board of directors since 1974
- Morris Animal Foundation, President Emerita...has been trustee since 1971
- Actors & Others for Animals
- Donated $100,000 to the Los Angeles Zoo
- American Veterinary Medical Association awarded her their Humane Award
- City of Los Angeles named her "Ambassador to the Animals"
Gene Wilder in the CommunityORGANIZATIONS HE SUPPORTS
- Founded the Gilda Radner Ovarian Cancer Detection Center
- Gilda's Club
- Cancer Research and Awareness
- Ovarian Cancer
Robin Williams in the CommunityORGANIZATIONS HE SUPPORTS
- Stand Up for Heroes- a benefit for injured servicemen
- USO- Has performed around the world
- Comic Relief- Joined Whoopi Goldberg and Billy Crystal in hunger relief efforts
- Member of Episcopal Church
- Prefers eco-friendly vehicles and drives a Toyota Prius. He's on the waiting list for an Aptera 2.
- He and his ex-wife started the Windfall Foundation and donate to many charities
- Children's Promise
- U.S. Military
- Hunger Relief
- Children's Issues
Vanessa Williams in the CommunityORGANIZATIONS SHE SUPPORTS
Oprah Winfrey in the CommunityORGANIZATIONS SHE SUPPORTS
- Supported Barack Obama in 2008 Presidential election
- Supported Barack Obama in 2006 Senate race
- Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls started with a $40 million investment
- In 1998, started Oprah's Angel Network with over $51 million in contributions worldwide. Winfrey herself covers all administrative expenses, so 100% of the organization's funds go to the community
- Business Week listed her as one of the Top 50 most generous philanthropists in America, having given over $303 million at the time.
- She has repeatedly been ranked as the most philanthropic celebrity
- Contributed to Hurricane Katrina and Rita relief
- Has provided 250 scholarships at Morehouse College
- Received the first Bob Hope Humanitarian Award in 2002
- Has offered a wide variety of giveaways and gifts on her television show, including some financed by her and some by advertisers
- Distributed Christmas presents to 50,000 children in Africa in 2004 as part of "Oprah's Christmas Kindness."
- In 2007, donated $50.2 million to Oprah Winfrey Foundation and her Angel Network
- In 2006, donated $58.3 million to: Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy, Oprah's Angels Network and other groups.
- Named 2008 Person of the Year by PETA
- Arts Advocacy
- Animal Welfare
- Disaster Relief
Reese Witherspoon in the Community
ORGANIZATIONS SHE SUPPORTS
- Avon Foundation - First honorary chairman in 2007.
- Domestic Violence
- Emergency Relief
- Breast Cancer Awareness
Elijah Wood in the CommunityORGANIZATIONS HE SUPPORTS
- Keep a Child Alive
Alfre Woodard in the CommunityORGANIZATIONS SHE SUPPORTS
- Founder and Board Member of Artists for a New South Africa
- In 2009, joined other artists on a cultural trip to Iran
Joanne Woodward in the Community
- Started "Newman's Own" line of products and has supported numerous organizations with its proceeds. As of 2008, over $280 million has been raised with all post-tax profits donated to charities.
- Hole-in-The-Wall Camps founder, with husband, for seriously ill children. Serves 13,000 children every year free of charge.
- Supported Eugene McCarthy in 1968, support that put him 19th on Richard Nixon's enemies list
- Opposed Vietnam War
- Supported Ned Lamont in Connecticut's 2006 Democratic Primary against Joe Lieberman
- Known as a liberal
- Supported Chris Dodd's presidential campaign
- Attended the first Earth Day in 1970
- Active supporter of gay rights, including marriage
- Concerned about global warming, supported nuclear energy development
- Co-sponsors the PEN/Newman's Own First Amendment Award. Following Paul's death, his daughter Nell now leads the effort.
- In June 1999, donated $250,000 to Catholic Relief Services for Kosovo Refugee relief
- Kenyon College- Donated $10 million to a capital campaign
- One of the founders of Committee Encouraging Corporate Philanthropy
- Named the Most Generous Celebrity in 2008 by GivingBack.org
- Started the Scott Newman Center for Drug Abuse Prevention in memory of her son
- Corporate Philanthropy
- Drug Abuse Prevention
- Disaster Relief
- Refugee Relief
- Children's Health
- Environmental/Ecological issues
- Free Speech
- Gay Rights
An Independent Voice for the Reel World
The Independent Critic
All Material Copyright 2007-2011
Richard Propes and Heart n' Sole Foundation