CONCEIVED AND DIRECTED BY
- Commentary with Casey Affleck, Joaquin Phoenix, and cast and crew
- Commentary with Casey Affleck
- Deleted scenes with commentary (over 90 minutes)
In honor of the overwhelming time and commitment that Casey Affleck afforded this documentary, and I use that term loosely, on Joaquin Phoenix, I offer a few short observations submitted as my "review," and I use that term loosely, for I'm Still Here:
- Okay, so you're still here? We still don't care.
- Rumor has it that Casey Affleck went broke making this film. Good, at least he won't be self-financing anymore films.
- Phoenix has already come out to say that the entire thing was a hoax, perhaps yet another "hoax" designed to get interest in this box-office disaster.
- Am I the only one who has noticed that if it has Magnolia Pictures attached to it a box-office bomb can be assumed? Is this a tax write-off for Mark Cuban?
- Why am I not flunking the film? Simple. Phoenix managed to convince those who cared that this was all "real" and that he was somehow giving up on Hollywood. For that reason alone, a 1/2 star gift is warranted.
- The rest of the film is about equal to the gift that a disgruntled employee leaves on Phoenix's face while he's sleeping. Think about it.
© Written by Richard Propes
The Independent Critic